Oleev Pistachio, Cardamom & Olive Oil Cake
Pistachio, Cardamom & Olive Oil Cake
We wish you a Sweet Sunday with Pistachio, Cardamom & Olive Oil Cake.
• 200g Shelled Pistachios
• 8 Cardamom Pods
• 100g Polenta
• 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
• 50g Butter
• 175ml Oleev Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 3 Medium Eggs
• 200g Caster Sugar
• 1 Lemon
Working the magic:
• Preheat the oven to 170 Degree Celsius. Grease & line a 23 cm round baking tin. Place the pistachios on a dry baking tray & toast in the oven for 3 minutes until they have a greasy shine & a nutty aroma. Remove and set aside to cool.
• Bash the cardamom pods using a pestle & mortar, discard the husks, & grind the seeds to a fine powder.
• Tip the pistachios & cardamom powder into a food processor & pulse until they’re finely ground. Pour the pistachios into a large bowl with the polenta & bicarbonate of soda & mix until evenly combined.
• Place the butter & Oleev Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a small pan on low heat, until the butter has melted but not boiled. Leave to cool slightly.
• In a second large bowl, whisk the eggs & sugar together until light, fluffy & thick enough to slowly fall off the whisk in a ribbon on the surface of the mixture. Very slowly, trickle in the butter & oil, slowly whisking it into the eggs until fully incorporated, then gently fold through the nut & polenta mixture. Zest the lemon, then halve & add the juice & zest to the mix. Stir to combine.
• Pour into the greased tin & bake for 45-50 minutes. Check that a skewer comes out clean & the surface springs back a little when you press in the centre. The cake will have risen with a golden top, but don’t be upset if the middle has collapsed slightly or even cracked, it’s pretty normal.
• Rest in the tin until cool, & serve in thick slices with a dollop of cream. This cake is so moist that it actually improves its flavor when kept for a day or two. However, its vibrant green color will start to fade.
Enjoy, because sometimes, all you need is cake.